Friday, 11 July 2014

carried away

It was so easy to make the peasant dress that I made a top too. Another upcyled job from a pillow case and scraps from my stash. The pillow case wasn't quite wide enough so I cut the front and back pieces and added a panel. I had fun going through my stash for the right combination of fabrics.

To make it look a bit different from the dress I made puffed sleeves rather than gathered. Grace found some buttons in my bag of spares and wanted them on the dress, in fact she wanted them on the front and sleeves but it looked a bit over the top. 

I used my favourite flat fell seam to add the panels in the front and back and for the side seams. So far no pics of her in it yet, I may have to add those extra buttons.

getting my monies worth

There is something very satisfying about being able to make a whole item of clothing in an evening. This is probably why Grace has an overflowing wardrobe and I have only made my self one dress in the past half dozen years.

My latest favourite pattern is Sew Much Ado's Polly Peasant dress. I've free formed peasant dresses in the past, but sometimes it is just less work to use a pattern. It is such an easy pattern and came together so quickly I just had to add a large pocket.

The other satisfying thing about this dress is that it's completely up-cycled out of a sheet and the remains of 50p worth of pillow cases that I had fun making a top and trousers out of a couple of years ago. Looking back at the photos I can't believe how much she has grown.

I used a flat fell seam for the side seams, it's my new favourite seam. Supper easy and a much nicer finish than zigzagging raw edges. A double row of top stitching along the bottom hem just finished it off.

Grace likes it because she can put it on herself, and because it has a big pocket

Monday, 30 June 2014


I've had this material for a while. I knew I wanted to make something for Grace but I wasn't sure what. The material is a bit stiff so not really right for a dress. Then it occurred to me how good she looks in three quarter length trousers.

In my mind when I planed them they had coloured turn ups and pockets. In reality when I started them the other night, I got carried away with how easy the pattern is and forgot all about the embellishments!

They are based on Made by Rae's Parsley pants and I followed her Super Seams tutorial so they should be nice and hard wearing. So nice not to have zigzagged edges inside.

I have to say I am more than a little pleased with how well I lined up the pattern across the front!

Monday, 21 April 2014

another niece another baby book

It has taken me a while to write this as my new niece Ciara is now a couple of months old now. As usual I didn't have it done in time for her birth but I did manage to get it done a little quicker than Jaspers book.

Kind of a farm yard animal theme this time, I had fun with the pig and cow tails.

Sunday, 12 January 2014

trouser mad

I've gone a bit trouser made over the past few months. Grace has been growing fast and suddenly it was winter and she had no warm trousers that were long enough. I wanted a nice simple two piece trouser pattern and I know Rae makes some nice patterns so I bought her parsley pants pattern.

Now she does say it is a slim fitting pattern but Grace is pretty much in big girl pants now so I thought I be ok. The first pair I made are these lovely moleskin ones with pin tucks. Unfortunately the pin tucks just make them too narrow to get over her chubby thighs, even without nappies. They do fit but she complains they are tight.

I've had acres of the moleskin for ages and I am on a mission to use up some of my stash. It doesn't wash very well, as you can see but it is warm.

So the second pair had to be out of the moleskin too as it is so cozy. I couldn't bring my self to make a repeat pair, even though I love the pin tucks, so I went for different pockets. I added an extra inch to the width and they are a much better fit. It also made me happy that the pockets used up some small scraps.

The third pair are super cozy and made of fleece. In my mind I have huge amounts of fleece, but when I came to make these I realised that I don't have any big pieces any more. Which is why they have one orange leg at the back and orange cuffs. I might not have chosen to make them that way but I think they have turned out pretty funky, and did I mention they are so cozy!

The fourth pair are from Rae's big butt baby pants, another great pattern and super easy to make. I caved in and bought this fabric before Christmas, how could I refuse! These trousers are a Christmas present for my great nephew (penny if you are reading this close your eyes). He doesn't have them yet and he growing hugely, I hope they still fit when he gets them!