Tuesday, 8 January 2013

skirt - from part of a t-shirt and a sock!

I kept my self awake the other night thinking about how to make a dress for Grace out of one of Marks old shirts. Anyway, in the dark that night I went round half a dozen ideas until I was thoroughly awake.

This morning I am still no closer to what I want to make, so to remedy the sewing block I made Grace a skirt out of the bottom part of a t-shirt, that I'd been wearing as a belly band when I was pregnant and a sock! It took all of half an hour.

 I wanted to make a nice thick waist band, as it had worked so well on the knit trousers and I thought a contrasting colour would be nice. I have saved lots of old vest tops but the fabric is thin, then I spied my socks. I have far too many and most are past their best. One knee sock with the ribbing and foot cut off was perfect.

I cut the sock in half lengthways.

Stitched the short ends together to make a loop. Folded the whole lot in half and ironed it.

I slipped the waistband over the top of the skirt piece lining up all the raw edges. I pinned the side seams and the mid points between the seams then stretched and pinned the waist band to fit the skirt. I wasn't very accurate.

I have several stretch stitches on my machine but I used a small zigzag to sew all the layers together, stretching the waist band as I went. The inside is a bit rough looking but nothing will fray so I am not too bothered. The sock stretched more than I thought it would so the waist looks a bit big, I think it'll shrink back when I wash it.

I am rather chuffed with my super quick upcyled skirt and I have a spare sock to make a sock monkey, or bear or socktopus....

No comments: